The Galaxy smartphone series have given the world everything it ever needed, be it budget phones for the teens or even Performance phones for the executives. But with the smartphone market reacing its saturation, the world demanded something new, something futuristic, something cool. Samsung have heeded this prayer , and given us a device, which is nothing short of futuristic. The Edge display was only an idea in the recent past, but looks like we already have its first fully working iteration, in the form of the Galaxy Note Edge. This device was a surprise annoucement after the announcement of the Galaxy Note 4, which in itself is a smartphone beast incarnate. LG had attempted to launch some futuristic tech themselves in the past in the form of the LG G Flex, but that device turned out to be only a prototype with only the flexible screen to talk about. The second iteration of the G Flex, the LG G Flex 2 , however, is a different story. Will the Note Edge also prove to be a prototype , or will it score a debut victory – Lets Find out
- Connectivity – The Device supports 2G, 3G and 4G connectivity, which conforms with the current industry standard.
- Display -The Note Edge comes with a 5.6 inch QHD display with a resolution of 1600*2560 pixels. What this means is that , the phone features a QHD display along with a 160 px strip along its edge. The extra strip will display notifications, control music among others. The app developers are optimising their apps to support this amazing edge feature as we speak. The pixel density is a stunning 524 ppi. Though the human eye cannot really perceive that pixel density, we can really get the feel of it when we are treated to ultra crisp text even on zooming in to the maximum.The Gorilla Glass protection has been custom made for this device with the glass actually curving to protect the edge as well. The stylus feature is also provided sice it is part of the prestigious Note family.
- Performance – The Note Edge features the Snapdragon 805 chipset which features a Quad core 2.7 GHz Krait 450 processor. The Adreno 420 GPU rounds off the performance package of the Note Edge. The Krait processor and the 805 chipset are the two top names in the smartphone ecosystem right now, and both of them acting together can only mean one thing – Performance Extravaganza.
- Memory – The Note Edge comes with a mouth watering 3GB of RAM and provides two variants. One with 32 GB internal memory, and the other with 64 GB of internal memory. To add to that, we can also add an external SD card upto 128 GB. This is the best memory package I have seen till date.
- Camera – Samsung have always impressed with their camera packages and this time is no different. We get a 16 MP Rear camera which features OIS , autofocus and LED Flash. A 3.7 MP sensor makes up the “selfie camera”.We can record 4K videos @ 30fps, [email protected] and 720p @120fps.
- OS – The Note Edge will boot Android 4.4.4 KitKat out of box with a guaranteed upgrade to 5.0 Lollipop. The Power management features promised in the new 5.0 version will surely work in the phone’s favor.
- Battery -The Note Edge comes with a 3000 mAh battery. Some might argue that Samsung should have gone with a bigger bettery given the features and the display, but this battery should get you close to day’s usage on single charge , so there’s no real reason for worry.
All in all , this phone has exceeded everyone’s expectations. Samsung have not only gone one step ahead and made a revolutionary product, but also made sure that it enters the fray , all guns blazing. Its rather a contrast from what LG had done with their Flex series, but looks like Samsung was in no mood to wait for their second Edge iteration to load it with specs. This phone will not just enthrall the masses but also beat almost any competitor you wish to throw at it. Looks like this phone might just go into the record books, as the prototype that came, saw and conquered.